Thursday, September 18, 2014

The Great Cheese Fiasco

A while back, I mentioned an incident about an embarrassing moment buying cheese here in Bolivia. When you move to a new country and are learning a new language, a new culture, a new way of doing things, you quickly learn that you aren't quite as smart as you thought you were. You think it's just the language and the greetings that get you, but it isn't. Different cultures do different things, and sometimes those differences are really really different. For example, people buy cheese differently in Bolivia than they do in South Mississippi. Let me give you some background.

Cheddar cheese is outrageously expensive here. So it is a luxury that we only rarely have. In my hometown, if you want cheese, you go to the local grocery store and you buy your cheese. You don't have to weigh it or get someone to price it for you, it's just there, sitting on the refrigerated shelves or hanging pre-shredded in bags. Cheese can be pricey in the states, but (at least in South Mississippi), not Bolivia pricey. Here, you have to weigh your cheese. You don't buy nice little pre-packaged, pre-shredded, pre-sliced packages that are pre-priced. The grocery stores buy big blocks of cheese and you buy it based on grams. You can ask them to cut it, etc, but at most grocery stores they weigh it, put it in a bag and stick a price on it.

Now, another point I should make is that living in a new country takes time for you to adjust to the the new currency. In the states, we use dollars. In Bolivia, we use Bolivianos. And, there is about a 6.92 exchange rate - which we generally round to 7 (7 Bolivianos for each US dollar). We, 5 months later, are still getting accustomed to this new currency (way of thinking) and don't always realize at first how much something really is. That is my defense and I'm sticking to it.

Back to the cheese. We normally (meaning on the rare occasion) buy the whole block of Pil brand cheddar for about $26 (US). That is a lot of money, but it is a good bit of cheese and the most economic option we've found. It will last us about 3-4 weeks of cheesy meals to get our fix, before we do our cheese fast to save up for the next block. It's a simple occasional luxury that reminds us of home and sort of (sometimes) makes up for the fact that our house doesn't have hot water, we get shocked when taking showers, we are one of few missionaries that don't have a vehicle, and we have to hang all our clothes on the line (which is daunting considering we are approaching the rainy season).

Well, one day at the supermarket (which is also a rarity for us, we usually shop at the local outdoor markets), I decided it was time for some cheese. I went to the counter and asked for the usual (Pil Cheddar, the whole package). Only, they told me they were out of Pil brand, but that they had Bonle. I thought to myself, there can't be that much difference, cheddar is cheddar. So I told him I wanted the whole Bonle since they were out of Pil. I didn't think much of it...until the register.

Apparently Bonle is not only more expensive, but their packages are bigger... I knew the cheese seemed more expensive, but remember I'm still adjusting to this new currency. I got home and went over the receipt to help us adjust our budget and make plans for the next month of expenses. I nearly had a heart attack. I spent $56 (US) on cheese! How was that possible?! Since that day, when we do buy cheddar cheese, I only buy Pil. And, the good news is that I found their whole sale store where you can buy smaller packages for less. Cheese is still an occasional luxury, but it can now be a little more occasional than it used to be.

How often have you, in your relationship with Christ, gone into a season or circumstance and found that it cost you more than you realize? I don't think cheese is work $56, but Christ is worth all of us. "For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it?" When Jesus taught about what it mean to be a disciple, he asked us to count the cost so we could be sure we could run the race with endurance until the end. Christ is worth it, but sometimes we forget to count the cost and resent Christ when payment is asked, whether it is circumstances, sacrifices, etc. I was angry that I paid so much for my cheese because I didn't think it was worth what I paid. But I could have counted the cost before my purchase. My encouragement is to consider what Christ is worth, and seek him with all your heart. As you face moments of frustration, of suffering, or of difficulty, remember: Christ is worth it.

Much love,
Seth

2 comments:

  1. Oh my.... sure hope you made something delicious with that cheese! Julie May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Julie, we put cheese on everything! Also, you need to send me a good donut recipe for high altitude...ha

      Delete