Monday, February 9, 2015

In the Age of Cliff Notes and Movie Trailers

      In the last year or so, I've gotten an increase in requests from friends, family, and supporters for book recommendations, teaching series suggestions, and the like. Truth be told, I'd search for something I really liked and hand out the link like a free sample at the grocery store. When I come across a topic that interests me or a verse that sparks a question in my heart, my natural tendency is to go to the web and look for an article, a 5 minute youtube video, or some kind of wiki-dictionary. I lean on people who have studied more than I, for longer than I have, to fill in the blanks, answer the questions and teach me in 5 minutes what took them years to understand or learn.

     Most would say this was smart or efficient. Which, if I were writing a paper for a university class, this would be a very effective way to cram a great bit of information in a small amount of time. The problem is that this information is only useful for the project I'm currently completing or for gathering a simple understanding of something I'm curious about. But, doing this does not give me ownership of what I'm learning. Without ownership, I don't respect it and it's likely that I won't remember what I'm studying for very long.

     A boy I disciple here in Bolivia has read the first 4 books of the Bible in the past 2-3 weeks. He told me he doesn't like to move around because you're supposed to read books from the front to the back. I admire his ambition and am frankly very surprised that he's done this. He's yet to make a profession of faith, but his interests and Christ's fruit are truly showing. I love this boy and his impact in my life. He teaches me more than he knows. "I like reading it all the way through, but I skip over the boring parts." Now, don't get me wrong, he can't have skipped over too much because I quizzed him and he remembers so much - I'm very impressed. But this comment resounded with me.

     How often have we "skipped the boring parts?" Now, in case of this boy, he was talking about ceremonial law, how to do sacrifices, and lengthy genealogy. Considering he was introduced to Christian faith just a few months ago and is, on his own accord, reading the Bible with such commitment, I think I'll give him a pass....for now. But, for those of us who claim to be "mature believers" or who have known Christ for years, why do we see it as so acceptable to "skip the boring parts?"

     We would rather have someone else study the boring parts, fit them with the interesting parts, and spout them out in an easy-to-read, not-too-long format. Are we producing the fruit of true believers, rooted in Christ? What about the fruit of obedience? The fruit of self-control? Patience?

"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." 2 Timothy 2:15, KJV

     I'm not typically a KJV person, but I love this version of this verse. In the Greek, the word used as study, is a word with a lot of meaning packed into it. It means, "to hasten, to make speed of, to do diligently with, to endeavor and labour, to be prompt and earnest." That is a lot of meaning with a  very tough challenge for us. We are to "study, hasten, be speedy about, do diligently, endeavor, be prompt and earnest about" showing ourselves approved unto God. In the Greek again, "shew thyself approved" means to "stand beside, exhibit, present, prove." We must "work diligently" to "prove" ourselves unto God. This is not a "work-salvation" post. We cannot earn our salvation. "Proving" is not "earning." Proving is simply demonstrating the evidence of something. God requires - and so brings forth fruit in our lives - for us to "prove" that we are in him. Don't misunderstand. You cannot earn your salvation. But your salvation better be evident in your fruit (Matthew 7:16). 

     We are called "workmen" or laborers. Are we known for our laboring in the kingdom? We are to diligently work (or study) to prove ourselves unto God, that we are in Christ, so that we will be workers who do not need to be ashamed, or in the Greek, "a disgrace or disfigurement." Claiming Christ, yet failing to bear his fruit, is a disgrace and is seen as a disfigurement of the proclaimed church (all those who claim Christ's name). 

     The last part of this verse is one of my favorites, "rightly dividing the word of truth." First of all,
this is not a command to divide or to dissect scripture to our liking. This is an example of the use of a 17th century expression that we no longer use. Ever heard someone say (maybe your math teacher) that "the shortest distance between two points is a straight line?" In the era of Garmins and GPS, we don't think of this too often. But if you are mapping directions somewhere, the best assumption for making the journey in the shortest amount of time is to "go in a straight line," or as they would say in the early 1600s, "divide the route." Rightly dividing the word is not "dividing" the word at all. It is using it effectively and efficiently in the way it was intended to accomplish what it was intended for. Do we study God's word sufficiently so that we are obediently using it as effectively as we should?

     I say all this to say that God has really been challenging me lately in my personal study of his word. Relying on his word, and the testimony of His spirit living in me, to grow in my walk with Him. Reading a great book or article and listening to that illuminating message are great tools for helping us grow, but they cannot substitute personal prayer and study of God's word. We are to each "work out our salvation with fear and trembling" (Philippians 2:12), and that requires a great deal of personal diligence. Are you counting the cost and putting forth the effort to "show yourself approved?" Are you known as a "laborer who needs not to be ashamed?" Are you rightly "dividing the word of truth?" 

Grace to you friends, 
Seth 

Bonus: 

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls."
(1 Peter 1:3-9 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment