Sunday, July 17, 2016

House Hunters Cochabamba!

So, as much as I'd love to share all the interesting details about how that 30 minute episode comes together, we signed a release that restricts me from a lot of those behind the scenes details.    We can basically say, "Yup, we were on House Hunters International."   So, I'll tell you what I can.

A crew came to our town last September and we spent quite a bit of time together between house tours, interviews, and going around town shooting at different locations.  They were some of the nicest people you'd ever meet.   We (the kids and myself) cried in the middle of the cancha (the large outdoor market) where we had to say our final goodbyes.   We get attached to Americans who visit us very quickly!  They loved our kids, spoiled us, and showed great patience with all of us as this was a completely new experience for us.   There was the director, a camera man, a sound guy, a fixer, a driver, and a producer from House Hunters.

Our wardrobes were limited to certain things (ex. no words, logos, or small stripes), and at the time, I didn't have a lot of pants that fit and were flattering on me.  So, I wore the same jeans with every wardrobe change.  I should have put more thought into that, because due to the fact that we hang dry our clothes, I couldn't wash them all week!  (No time for drying) So, by the end of filming I was SO glad to get to wear something else!  Also, I didn't have enough shirts that fit their requirements, so at the last minutes a friend let me have two of her shirts to wear.  Thanks for the save, Erin!  (Buying clothes here is a lot of work, and its frustrating to pay Walmart prices for yard sale clothes.)

When we went around in their rental van, they had a food box.  It is exactly what it sounds like.   A box of snacks for everyone.  But to us, it was like a box of gold.  They bought American snacks here that we don't normally buy (imported foods are expensive, and fruit is cheap, so we snack on fruit mostly).  We ate Pringles and I don't remember what else, but it was a treat!

If you saw the episode, you saw Cristian's pension (like a hole-in-the-wall inexpensive restaurant, very common here).   We didn't just eat there for filming, but there were also a few occasions where Cristian catered for the crew.  (Our whole family can eat there for less than $5, so I think they knew a good deal when they found one, ha!)

Why did we want to be filmed for House Hunters?  We thought it would be a great opportunity to show friends and family in the states what Bolivia, and specificallly Cochabamaba, was like. I always tell people, "Bolivia is a completely different world than the US," and its true.  But how can I adequately explain that?  I feel like the show was able to capture a little bit of that...shopping, dining out, life at home, teaching in a Bolivian school.  And too I feel like it was a great opportunity to be a Christian example on the show, both for the filming crew and for viewers.
The film crew on their last day of filming. 




2 comments:

  1. I love House Hunters because it is such fun for me, Stateside, to identify the missionaries and then find your blogs and stories. I love your vision and the work you are doing. I will be praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love House Hunters because it is such fun for me, Stateside, to identify the missionaries and then find your blogs and stories. I love your vision and the work you are doing. I will be praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete